Friday, April 17, 2009

Did you really just say that?

Have you ever had a conversation with someone where you could totally tell they were against whatever it was that you were saying? Like you're sitting there telling them something you want to do for your future and they just give you a look. You know that look of OMG are you being serious? Well I recently have had a few of those conversations...

My Hubby~to~be has decided to Re-enlist in the Army. I am in full support of it (no matter how scary it is to me). Well as people began to find out they also began to tell me how I Should be handling this news. For instance My mother. She was SOOO Appalled at the idea that she blatantly said that I should leave him... Well hunny bee that isn't going to happen. Then his mother tried to play me against him. She actually tried to convince me that he shouldn't be doing this and that he is only doing it because I told him to. Wrong attempt there lady!

And then coworkers or my sister... Her response was by far my favorite (but only because she is the most ignorant out of everyone). My coworkers and I are pretty close. We all talk about our lives and things that happen and just pretty much everything. When they started finding out about they all give me these utter looks of disgust and disdain. But like I said my sisters reaction was by far my top one...

Me: So Brandon is re-enlisting in the Army soon.
H:WHAT?! How can you agree to that? I know you were pissed! I would be!
Me: Umm no actually I'm pretty happy. Of course I have concerns but I am excited and proud of him.
H:How can you sit here and tell me that? Are you being serious? UGH! If Ray EVER tried to do something like that I'd yank his leash and tell him NO!
Me: Well you and Ray definitely aren't me and Brandon now are you?
H:Just think about all the bad things he can do while hes away. He could cheat!
Me:Did you really just say that to me??
H:Yes I did. I don't even let Ray talk to his ex's I just don't trust them.
Me:Them as in who the ex's or Ray AND the ex's?
H:Both... But it doesn't matter. Aren't you mad that he is doing this all over again?
Me: Absolutely not! I am proud of him! I support him! And you're nuts about the ex thing.
H: Well at least you'll be single while he's gone...
Me:WTF?! I can't believe you would even say things like that. I mean are you really being serious? Or are you just trying to piss me off?
H: Why can't he find some other profession to do? Why does he want the Army to be his "career" (she used her fingers to make the quotation marks) What if he changes his mind about it being a career?
Me: And what do you propose he should do as a "career"
H:Well Ray is a plumber. I'm just sayin maybe you should tell him he can't. I wouldn't allow that.
Me: Wow you really are just that ignorant aren't you? I would NEVER tell him he CAN'T do something. I mean gawd!
H:Well maybe you're good and ready to be n ready to be a military wife... I would never want to.
Me: Well thats because you aren't me. I am ready to do whatever I need to do to be supportive of my husband... and as for him changing his mind about his "career" the reason that it would be considered a career is because you plan to do to that for a long time. Its not some short term thing that you get bored with and toss it aside.
H: i didn't mean to offend you. I was just tryin to figure out why you want to let him do it...
Me:I'm not LETTING him do anything. Im not his mother.
H:Ok. I still think its dumb what if he has to go to the hospital>
Me:Are you in kindergarten or something?? You sure sound like it.

Ok now I know that people do not have to agree with his decision. I never expected them too. But the next time some butt comes up and asks me "If I am supportive of the decision" or that I should tell him he can't i'm going to lose it. I don't understand why ANYONE would expect me to unsupportive of my Fiance. I mean im pretty sure that it says in the Bible that we are supposed to be... am I wrong?

4 comments:

  1. I think people are scared of what they don't know. And espeically during a time when soldiers are being deployed so much I think people automatically think you would be concerned about that and not happy with his decision. Which, I'm sure you are concerned about deployments, but you also understand that those who want to be in the military want to for a reason no one else can really understand and so you know the best thing to do is to support your soon-to-be hubby because he knows what he needs to do for his career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....people have serious issues with guys in the military. Families can sometimes be the worst critics. Don't let it get to you. If you can handle it don't worry about anyone else. You'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with army wife. And I want to add that's it's not easy but I am proud that you are standing by your man and his decisions. And that's how you should respond to any negative comments. Just say with a smile "we love each other and with that comes total support and understanding along with compromise. I love him and I stand by him and he does the same for me!"

    Being in the military is not so bad. It's something to be proud of. It's what heros are made of. Shame on people for not stepping back to look at the bigger picture. I am sorry you are having to go through this, I usually get a positive responce when people find out I am with a soldier.

    And LOL @ him cheating while away. If he wants to leave you for an Iraqi woman....HAHAHA I am laughing too hard to finish.

    Hold your head up proud girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought people would be more supportive too. I guess that I should have known better quite a few people in my family are pretty closeminded about the military...

    Nikki, I thought that it was funny to but she meant like he would cheat while he was here training... Her train of thought ALWAYS goes to that. She doesn't trust anyone

    ReplyDelete