Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Perfectly Imperfect Mom

I am a perfectly imperfect mother...

I don't always give in when my child cries
I don't always make him eat the healthiest foods.
Sometimes I let him snack on junk food.
Sometimes he wears his shorts backwards because he puts them on that way.
He doesn't always listen.
I didn't read all the baby books out there
He did sleep with a binky until he was 16 months
I do tell him no
Sometimes I get frustrated
Sometimes I would like to run away screaming
I do like to get a hot bath without baby toys floating around me
Sometimes he stays up late with me
He does get to watch cartoons in the morning
And he has had a drink of Soda.... So that makes me imperfect
I don't know what Im doing all the time
I get confused about a lot of things with him
I freak out when he spikes a fever
Sometimes I hold him for a long time after he falls asleep just because I can
This all makes me an imperfect mother

But I also know every freckly on his little body
I know his favorite blanket and his favorite toy
I will sit an read his favorite book 15 times or more a day just because he wants to
I do bail out on my friends sometimes just to spend more time with him.
I melt when he hugs me and gives me sloppy kisses
I cry when I think I hurt his feelings or when I leave for work and he cries
I spoil him rotten with love and attention
I teach him about God and Jesus and how they love him and he should love them
He knows right from wrong

So I would rather be perfectly imperfect that a text book mother. I would rather spend everyday holding my son and hearing him giggle than be worried that I didn't follow what it says in the "What to expect in the first year books" I take pride in every little babbled coo or word no matter if he is saying what I think he is or not. I do not mind pulling out a toy or sipcup or anything that he stuffs in my purse for that matter. I have more often than not pulled out a binky from my coat pockets that he has placed in there almost as if to say "here mom have a bink on me" (get it... have a drink on me lol okok Im a dork) I love my son more than life itself and I know there is nothing wrong with that... I take pride in being perfectly imperfect.

3 comments:

  1. This warmed my heart girl. You are the perfect imperfect mother. My mom raised me that way and I like to think she did a great job as are you. You have to enjoy them while they're young and realize you learn as you go. I hope you had a nice Mother's Day!

    And I am cracking up at you with the toys in the bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all true. I got scolded the other day by this lady who told me that I needed some lessons on motherhood and I asked her why and she told me that I shouldn't let my son drink juice, I should not hold him while he is sleeping. I should never have given him a binky and just a whole bunch of bladdy blah kinda crap.

    ReplyDelete