Monday, May 18, 2009

Who are you again?

Friday was to say the least the second worst day of my life as a mom. Jonathan had surgery to relieve him of the cysts that were developing on his ear drum (the first was when he got RSV at 2 months old since he was a preemie).

First I wasn't allowed to feed my tyke after midnight and since I woke him up before the butt crack of dawn he was not a happy camper. So we make our trip to the surgical center to be there by 6:30am. We got there got him checked in. And then sat in the waiting room where he was tortured by other people sipping on their drinks and eating their morning snacks. Ok so they weren't doing it on purpose but still explain to a 19 month old why he can't eat and everyone else can. So anyways, we were called in pretty quickly to go over the routine with the nurse. She gave him some tylenol and put him in a little hospital gown and proceeded to hand me what i call a bubble suit. Then we were sent to the "play room" to wait until his doctor was ready. When the nurse came to call us up I was ready (or so I thought) they told me to put my cap on and then we were headed to the room where they were going to put him under. As soon as Jonathan saw a nurse with a mask on he freaked out. He started bawling which of course made me feel like Sh*t because well its my baby and I don't want to see him scared. One nurse said "Oh hes fine they all cry, its not a big deal." in a tone that made me want to snatch her up by her frizzy red hair that was peeking under her cap. I looked at her and said "Who are you again?"

Her reply was... "I am betty, I will be scrubbing the doctor before he performs the surgery. We are all here for your son"

Me:" Well Betty, I am sure you have been doing this for some time, but me well I have not. So excuse me for comforting my crying baby who happens to be terrified. But you're right all the other children have done this too and I should be comforted by that. Thanks."

Betty: "I just meant that he is ok yea hes scared but he will not even remember once we put him under"
Im sure at this point my look gave her the idea to shut the hell up but just to be safe I said
"Oh because THAT made me feel SO much better! Who hires people like you? think about who you are talking to and what you are saying for heavens sake... I am his mother, he is crying, and excuse me for being a little freaked out!"

I apologized for snapping and she said she understood. Im not sure she did but either way... Who the hell is she to tell me not to care that my son is freaking out. Anyways... his surgery went well and he is good to go now. Friday was a quiet day he was groggy and slept a lot. Saturday he was back to climbing on tables and jumping off the couch.

3 comments:

  1. First of all I had surgery at a very young age and I remember it, even with the knocking me out part. What a rude nurse or whatever the crap she was. I have worked in Peds for a while now and I know first hand that parents are upset and scared and worried and don't want to see their babies in pain. I try to be compassionate about that and let parents be parents the best way they know how to. Who am I to but into a mother soothing her freaking out child? Shame on her! Sorry this post got me fired up! Hope Jonathan is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is doing great. He is back to normal and now we just have his follow up appointment.

    ReplyDelete