Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Sometimes its a kick in the face.

Ya know those nosey people that always have something smart to say to you? And I don't mean smart as in intelligent but like sarcastic? Or those people that always have some kind of opinion that they think is right? Well I got to deal with on of those recently.

I was talking to a group of people, not necessarily my friends so much as people I know. I was telling one girl about Jonathan's dedication at my church when another loud mouthed snot decided it was time to chime in saying "Don't you think you should leave that option to your son to decide when he gets older?"

Well No actually I don't. I think that it was MY decision to make about whether or not I wanted to dedicate my son to the lord and to raise him believing in God. It was MY decision to dedicate him and make my promise to do my best in providing him with a community that loves him and cares for him and wants what's best for him and has the same beliefs as me. It IS my decision whether or not I want to teach my child or children about God and if you don't like it then thats your choice but I am doing what I know is right.

Now I understand there are people that don't believe in God, that don't practice my religion, and who do have different beliefs and I am not saying that those people are wrong. Its just not what I believe. My fiance was one of those people when we met. Until I introduced him to my Pastor he had a hard time developing a relationship with the Lord. Mostly because he didn't understand the word of God and no one took the time to show him. He wasn't given a choice growing up about what he wanted to believe. So know that he is older he is finding that religion is necessarily complicated. I am proud to be able to introduce to him a different relationship with God that he wouldn't have necessarily found on his own. I am simply offering my son the same.

There are people that think it should be each persons own decision to do so. Fine. When Jonathan is older he can and will decide for himself what he believes. Until then he will have my influence. I won't apologize for praising my Lord and savior to him. I won't apologize for believing that he is my heavenly father. I won't apologize for my religion.

It irks me that people think that their opinion of religion should count to everyone. It doesn't. If you don't choose to practice religion, or you just don't believe in my God, or you have whatever beliefs you have... What makes you any more right or wrong than me? Who are you to judge me? My mother had me baptised when I was 6 weeks old. I am thankful she did because when I was teenager I was baptised again 2 months before I was in a near fatal accident that almost took my own life. I know that God was there for me. He was doing his work in my life. Just like he does to other people. I do not go around forcing my beliefs on anyone. I am entitled to believe what I want. So little miss lady with the mouthy opinion... Next time you think you want to tell me how to raise my child, maybe you should think about how you would raise yours.

1 comment: